WHAT IS INTERIOR DESIGN?
Interior design is all about how we experience spaces. It’s a powerful, essential part of our daily lives and affects how we live, work, play, and even heal. It is a profession that involves artistic, technical and aesthetic skills.
For me, designing a space means shaping the experience that a person will have inside it: an experience that will also affect their life and, of course, their mood. Interior design is a project that defines how a space will function, how it will look, and how it will appeal to the senses. It should fit the needs, cultures and lifestyle of those that inhabit it. The way we inhabit a space has a huge effect on our creativity, happiness, and of course, our well being.
It is the art of creating simple spaces into functional and attractive spaces. Comfortable homes, functional workplaces, beautiful public spaces—that’s interior design at work. It is the art of planning and designing the interior spaces of a building shell. Interior design has changed dramatically since the early 20th century when it was just beginning to emerge as a profession.
WHO IS AN INTERIOR DESIGNER?
An Interior Designer is
- A creative thinker with a wide knowledge base and skill set related to the field.
- A professional exploring aesthetics through form, color, and space.
- An organizer who can lead projects with an understanding of design, construction, and marketing.
- A designer who shapes residential, commercial and institutional spaces.
Today, interior designers work with contractors, architects, engineers, craftsmen, furniture dealers, and business and home owners. To become a successful interior designer, you need a well-rounded education and the skills to work within many disciplines such as;
- Graphic Design,
- Decorative Arts,
- Furniture Design,
- Lighting Design
The art of transforming any space from scratch into a potential haven is the job of the interior designer. From choosing the right colour palette to making sure their designs are not just beautiful but functional, designers make sure that their client receives comfort along with class.
Interior Designers are predominately artistic people and their professional objective is to use their artistic vision to create healthy and aesthetically pleasing environments.
WHAT DOES AN INTERIOR DESIGNER DO?
An interior designer can explore numerous challenging avenues like the ones listed below, in an individual capacity as well as in collaboration with other design professionals:
- Residential space design
- Commercial s pace design Office space design
- Display and exhibit design
- Hospitality design
- Set design
Interior designers are expected to have working knowledge of:
- Textiles, materials, color, space planning, sustainability, and more
- Software applications for 2D & 3D computer-aided design (CAD) and building information modeling (BIM)
- Structural requirements, health and safety issues, and building codes.
Few common tasks that are Interior Designers perform while working on a Interior Design Project;
- Consulting with clients to create the best design according to their requirements.
- Estimating costs and materials.
- Liaising with clients and construction staff in order to comply with the client’s needs in an established timeline and with an assigned budget.
- Sketching out plans and making models.
- Ordering the necessary materials.
- Keeping the client up-to-date throughout the entire project.
WHY LEARN INTERIOR DESIGN?
Interior design is becoming an increasingly viable career option for creative individuals who have a flair for spatial design with a strong aesthetic and artistic sensibility. This is only possible through an interior designing course. At the moment, the industry faces an ever increasing need for skilled interior designers that can provide innovative and sustainable design solutions for the users in need. This presents itself as a lucrative opportunity for aspiring designers who wish to establish themselves in the field of interior design and make a living out of it.
WHAT ARE THE CAREER PROSPECTS FOR AN INTERIOR DESIGNER?
One of the most natural questions to pop up in any parent or child’s mind has to do with exploring and learning about the employability of interior designing students is of utmost priority. The interior designing industry is set to see a rapid growth in the coming years, with increasing expectations from clients when it comes to construction, sustainability and even the look & feel of the space. There are many lucrative career prospects available for students who have finished their studies in this field. A student can choose from the following specializations:
- Corporate or commercial interiors that includes retail outlets, commercial spaces, offices, hospitality, etc…
- Residential interiors
- Working with online furniture retailers
- Working with design firms as a designer
- Working with design firms as a project manager
- Working with production companies on set design for theatre, TV and film
- Working with event management firms for exhibition design
WHAT IS INTERIOR DESIGNER’s SALARY IN INDIA?
The interior designer salary per month in India may vary from one organization to another. As per the recent source data, following is the list of reputed companies with their pay range;
- Livspace: Rs. 25,000 to 40,000 per month (Avg.)
- RSP: Rs. 25,000 to 30,000 per month (Avg.)
- HBA Architecture and Interior Design: 22,000 to 28,000 per month (Avg.)
- Godrej and Boyce Manufacturing: Between Rs. 23,000 – 45,000 in a month (Avg.)
- Bonito Designs: Rs 15,500 to 22,500 in a month (Avg.)
- Asian Paints: Rs. 23,000 to 27,000 per month (Avg.)
- Dar-Al-Handasah: Rs. 30,000 to 36,000 per month (Avg.)
- Shopper’s Stop: Rs. 55,000 to 75,000 per month (Avg.)
- McDonalds: Rs. 15000 to 25,000 per month (Avg.)
The youngsters willing to avail a bright career must consider this profession.